Sunday, February 06, 2005

Buttons, Gin and Karaoke

Our cat, Buttons, was a rescue animal. Her old owners loved her dearly, but were no longer in a position to keep her. Since my husband is a cat lover, she became ours, despite my misgivings.

Now, before you get the idea that I hate cats, or any animals for that matter, let me explain myself.

I am over animals. We have had, cared for, spoiled and loved, six dogs, twenty or so cats, numerous chickens, eight goats, countless fish, one lizard, three rabbits, five rats...you get the idea.

During all of this time we were also raising our three children. I was the stay at home caregiver for all of them. I taught my children at home. I grew a huge garden each year. I put up all the food grown in said garden. I made homemade bread, homemade soap, homemade herbal mixtures for food and health, sewed, crocheted and the list goes on and on.

I'm tired.

Give me the can opener. I'm ready to serve Chef Boyardee for Sunday supper. I'm ready to buy frozen vegis and grow roses, just because I like them. I want to drink Gin and Vodka and sing Karaoke and laugh and snuggle with my husband.

I'd like for someone else to take care of me.

I'm not ready to take care of yet another being.

But...

Looking into the eyes of a warm purring cat... my heart caved.

Yes, I love her, dammit. She is spoiled just as badly as the others were. To be honest, I'd say she is much more spoiled.

Now that the kids have moved out, she gets their bed room.

Renee'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home